Friday, January 23, 2009

January 19-23

I am still processing this past week.

Usually, a week comes and goes without much thought. There's a routine that happens: work, home, friends, tv, sleep, eat, etc. Nothing too complicated. But last week was different.

Politically, it was an incredible week. Obama was officially sworn in as our president, and he hit the ground running, proving in his first few days of office that he meant business. Then, Nashville demonstrated our welcoming and progressive spirit by voting against the English-only proposition and letting Mr. Crafton know that if he wants his way, he'll just have to move to a small town somewhere in Mississippi to get it.

But outside of the political realm, last week felt anything but victorious. Things happened that shook my soul, and I feel like my perspective has been permanently altered. I still don't know that I have the words to explain exactly what shift has occurred, I just feel it. There is sadness--lots of sadness--concern, confusion, fear, disappointment, hurt, and helplessness.

Helplessness is the hardest. I know that, in some circumstances, all you can do is just "be there" for people. But just being there is hard for me. I want to do. I want to fix. I want to heal. I want to make better. But sometimes better is not mine to make. So I just have to be.

And so I'm here. And I hope. And I think. And I pray. I pray, pray, pray. For the best.

Or, at least, for better.

4 comments:

Margie said...

"I want to do. I want to fix. I want to heal. I want to make better."

..... you do all of that for me :)

Melissa said...

i don't know about you, but last tuesday feels like an eternity ago...

Sam said...

"Better" might not be yours to make, as you say, TT. And it may not be mine to make, either. There's probably only one person who can make it better. And I think we all hope she does.

That said, in the meantime, I know that your "being there" does certainly make the now, which can seem so crippling, feel quite a bit better.

TT said...

Thank you--I appreciate all of your words. And yes, Melissa, January has felt like it has been 3 years long already.