Monday, March 10, 2008

running without scissors

I have never been a runner in my life. I have actually used the cheesy joke before that "I only run if something is chasing me." I know...awful, right?

Don't get me wrong...I have played sports in the past that included an element of running, but that was running with a purpose. In soccer, I had a ball to chase. In basketball, I was busy dribbling. In track, I did hurdles, so I had to focus on jumping over large obstacles in my path, and that distracted me from the fact that I was running.

But the whole Forrest Gump notion of "hey, I'm just going to start running and see how far these legs will take me"--that never really appealed to me. If I needed to travel farther than 5 miles, that's why God gave me a car, right? I believe that the invention of the wheel was a good thing.

But then, on Saturday I found myself running 7 miles with some friends who are training for the Country Music 1/2 Marathon. Just running with no other reason except to run and to prove to myself that I could do it.

I wasn't sure if I could make it the whole 7 miles, but I did it. And I felt good about myself.

So now, I am officially registered to run the Country Music 1/2 Marathon on April 26th.

13.1 miles. That's like running from my house to Brentwood. That's totally a car trip.

Oh boy.

1 comment:

"Jeneric" said...

Awesome!! Just train hard and you will have a fun race day :-) Hmm, should I come to Nashville to cheer you on?