Friday, March 28, 2008

a note to my lungs

Dear Lungs,

I am the type of person who likes to deal with issues head on, so I felt the need to write to you today. Frankly, I am disappointed with you.

When we began training for the half marathon, you were a great running partner. No matter how hard I pushed you, you kept up with me, never slowing me down. Sometimes, Ankles would be weak, and Knees would often complain...but you, you were the rockstar. You kept me going, and I was so proud of you.

But then yesterday, you faltered.

Now, I know that yesterday was hotter and more humid than any other day we've run, so I'm trying to cut you a little slack, but I feel like you gave up on me. You slowed me down, forcing me to walk...and you made me feel weak and defeated. Even Knees and Ankles have never gone that far.

And honestly, it hurts. I feel like I have always been good to you. I have exercised you often, and I have never led you into addiction or forced unhealthy habits upon you.

So, I'm asking you to buck up here. Get your act together. I really don't want to have to get Inhaler involved, you know? He'll whip you into shape in two seconds flat...but I don't entirely like his methods. I'd rather you figure this one out on your own.

We've got a big run coming up on Sunday, and I'm hoping you won't let me down again. I can't do this thing without you, so I need you to be strong.

Thanks for listening. I feel a little better now that I've gotten this off my chest.
love,
TT

P.S. I'm serious about Sunday. You better bring it, or I'm calling Inhaler. That's all I'm sayin'

No comments: