Thursday, July 02, 2009

sweet home sunnymeade

Dear newest homeowner of 1217 Sunnymeade:

Although we've never met, and we only know each other through scribbled signatures on contracts, I wanted to share with you some information about the house you are buying.

I know it seems a simple house--just some bricks and plaster with a little wiring and plumbing woven throughout--but it is a special place. I don't know very much about the history of the home, but I know that in the last four years I have grown to love this house more than any other house I have lived in.

The first time that I looked at the house with my realtor, I fell in love. I put in an offer immediately, but unfortunately so did someone else, and their offer was accepted over mine. So I kept looking, but I continued to compare everything I saw to Sunnymeade, and nothing else could hold a candle. Luckily, the other contract fell through after a couple of weeks, and I got a second chance. Their misfortune was my blessing, and I closed on the house in April 2005.

When I first bought her, she was rather plain. The previous owner had done some renovation work, but had painted all of the walls white and all of the trim yellow. Four years later, I still can't understand why that ever seemed like a good idea. So, my first project was infusing the house with color. I had lived in apartments for a few years, and I was so tired of beige and white walls that I vowed I would paint every single wall in my new home with color. And I did.

Before:


After:


Although your home inspection revealed a laundry list of little things that needed to be fixed, I can assure you that she is a sound home. A true brick house. She is an older model, showing some signs of wear and tear, but her foundation is firm. I always pay attention to the energy of a house, and I can tell you that she has a happy soul. I've always felt safe here--even when I was living alone.

One thing you might not discover immediately is that you have amazing neighbors. Alma, the elderly lady next door, is a watchdog. She once almost called the police on my ex-boyfriend, because he locked himself out of the house and she saw him climbing in one of the windows. She is hard of hearing, so she won't understand a word you say, but she will happily talk to you. Just don't tell her family that she comes out on the side porch for cigarettes.

Definitely go to the Hargrove brother's Labor Day party. My first year on Sunnymeade, I received the party flyer in my mailbox, and I decided to check it out. I am so glad that I did. It's a great party and a fabulous way to meet all of your neighbors. (Even though we are moving, I still plan to show up this year.) The Hargroves are good people, and they will make sure that you feel welcome on the street. I am going to miss my neighbors. Terribly.


Since living on Sunnymeade, I have done a few updates on the house. We ripped off the ugly white vinyl shutters, and Todd helped me build the new wooden shutters. The pantry in the kitchen is also Todd's handiwork--it was one of his Christmas presents to me (being married to a carpenter definitely has its privileges!) If I could rip that pantry out and take it with me, I totally would. It is a work of art, made with love, and I adore it.


The backyard used to be enclosed by a chain link fence, but our dog Tucker could jump it as easily as an Olympic track athlete could clear a hurdle, so we ripped it out last summer and built the wood fence. Many of our friends and neighbors pitched in on the project. It was a labor of love, and my friend Haley can attest that it is sound, because I personally checked it out with my face (which explains just one of the inside jokes you'll find scribbled on the chalkboard walls in the bathroom.) We specifically built the fence very tall with the "pretty side" in so that Tucker couldn't jump it. He can still jump it. But as long as you don't have a crazy-ass dog, it should suffice just fine. (Tucker also had the distinction of being the "loudest dog in the neighborhood"--so the neighbors probably won't miss him quite so much.)


I also wish that I could take the landscaping with me, as we just planted everything last summer and have only had a year to enjoy it. I was afraid that many of the plants wouldn't survive the intense heat last summer, but they pulled through and look amazing. Even the oak tree in the back yard that I bought for $5 and the dogs half destroyed is blooming. There must be some magic dirt in that yard.

Just a few of the things that have happened while I lived on Sunnymeade:

I met and fell in love with my husband (we almost held a luau-themed wedding in the backyard, but decided to elope instead. On a side note, I have a lot of luau supplies if you should need them).

We adopted Tucker. Apparently, that didn't make our lives crazy enough, because a year later, we adopted Levi. You can blame them for all of the dog hair, which I am sure you will continue to find in corners and crevices for years to come.

We hosted numerous dinner parties, brunches, game nights, cookouts, and hang-outs.

We entertained multiple nieces and nephews, and entertained the idea of having our own children (part of the reason for our move).

A few other random notes of interest about the house:

If you ever decide to plant a garden, don't put it in the back left-hand corner of the yard. The black walnut tree's roots emit some sort of chemical into the ground that inhibits the growth of vegetables. We found that out the hard way.

The corner between the arches is a great place for a Christmas tree, and you can see the lights through the windows on the front door.

Speaking of the windows on the front door--dogs love them. It provides a perfect lookout, so they can make sure you know if someone is coming.


Space is limited in the house, but the upstairs area can serve as an impromptu dining room for a large dinner party. As long as everyone doesn't mind sitting on pillows.


Oh, and at one point, Joe Dirt lived here.


As you can tell, a lot has happened in the last four years in this house--it is a history that is full of love, laughter, sweat, tears, friends, neighbors, family, and dogs. I could share many more stories from my time at 1217 Sunnymeade, but now it is time for you to create your own stories. Enjoy your new home, and please take care of her, because she is precious. Love your neighbors, and they will love you (and sometimes even mow your lawn).

Welcome home.
TT

2 comments:

Melissa said...

what a sweet and lovely post! you totally had me on the verge of violating the no-crying-at-work rule.

Sam said...

I hope you and Todd make the same sort of memories at the new place that you've honored with this post.