Monday, June 07, 2010

final countdown

Three weeks from today...I will be in Kenya.

I spent the weekend shopping and pulling together items for the packing list: sleep sack, hiking boots, work gloves, headlamp, bandanas, first aid kit, dry shampoo, etc. Packing for two full weeks of camping in Africa is daunting. I just know I'm going to be the person who forgets something vital, like sunscreen.

The only item I haven't purchased yet is the 30% (or higher) DEET insect repellent that is recommended. Reading the back of the bottles scares me. Anything with a high level of DEET carries warnings like "Do not spray on any synthetic materials." (ummm--like most clothing?) Or, "May damage leather." If something is strong enough to damage leather, do I really want to spray it on my skin? I'm struggling with this one. Spray really hazardous materials on my skin--or risk getting bitten by a potential malaria-carrying mosquito? I'm looking into other options...

While I am there, I will have zero access to phones, email, etc., but WLS is going to maintain a trip blog so that our friends and family back home can keep up with what we are doing. I'll post that link before we leave.

Oh, and did I mention that I AM SO STINKIN' EXCITED? Because I am. I most certainly am.

No comments: