Monday, May 11, 2009

weekend wrap-up: symmetry and kid's menus

I'm not certain, but I think I might have broken my right pinky toe Friday night. I crammed it on a chair leg pretty hard--twice (because, you know, once just wasn't quite painful enough), and judging from the swelling and the purple and blue coloring that has spread from the toe onto the right side of my foot, I did a bit of damage. On a positive note, I had broken my left pinky toe back in college, so now both my pinky toes are all wonky, and symmetry has returned to my feet.

On Sunday we had Todd's family over for Mother's Day brunch, and half of our guests were children. I tried to make sure that the menu was pretty kid-friendly--here's a list of what we had:

Cheese plate
Sausage balls
Mini quiches (florentine and lorraine)
Bagel crisps with dill cream cheese and smoked salmon
Bacon, egg and cheese strata
Parmesan potato pancake
Caprese salad
Fruit salad

The sausage balls were a hit--of course, we didn't tell everyone that they were actually soy-sage balls until after they had all been consumed. I expected that the strata would go over much better with the kids than it did, because in my mind, I thought "Bacon. Eggs. Cheese. Bread. What kids don't like those things?" I think in their minds, though, the thought process went more like this: "If that is bacon, eggs, and cheese--why is it square? And why did it come out of a casserole dish? Dude, I know what casseroles are--they are things adults use to hide veggies. I'm sticking to the potatoes and fruit." So, the fruit salad disappeared pretty quickly, but Todd and I will probably be eating on the quiches, smoked salmon, and caprese salad for a few days. And I might need to practice cooking for kids a little more before we have our own. Chicken fingers and fries, anyone?

4 comments:

Margie said...

I'm so sad that you broke your toe at our party! Thanks for hosting the throw down though -- it was PERFECT!

Melissa said...

no! don't be fooled by the horrible lie that kids only eat chicken fingers. because if you don't expose them to a nice strata, then who will?? :)

also, i keep forgetting, but can you email me the recipe for the soy-sage balls?

Erica said...

Everything was fantastic, I think in Gunnar's case, he was so full on sausage balls and crackers that by the time the actual 'food' was served, he was ready for dessert (in the form of fruit salad of course)! You were an excellent hostess, thanks for having us!! :)

TT said...

MN- No worries. It was bound to happen sooner or later!

MH- True. I've always said that I want to have the kids who are eating sushi, Thai, etc. at age five.

E- I thought Gunnar did really well on the food--he was at least willing to try a lot of different things, which some of the others weren't. We had a great time with you guys!