Tuesday, December 18, 2007

bye, bye sweet carbs

So I have decided to attempt the low-carb approach to life, which is sure to be a difficult challenge for this carb-loving girl. Yes, my name is Tiffany, and I am a carb-oholic. I admit it. I love all kinds of breads, pastas, yummy things with sugar in them, you name it. And you know how Bubba Gump is about shrimp? That's how I am about potatoes. I like them mashed, baked, stuffed, roasted, fried, julienned, au gratin...ok, I'm going to have to stop now because I'm starting to drool.

But, I read this article in Ladies Home Journal the other day (side note: my grandmother always buys us subscriptions to random magazines at Christmas--I think I am the only 30 year-old I know who has subscriptions to Reader's Digest and Ladies Home Journal), and it basically said that carbs are the primary reason people get fat. Low-fat diets don't make you skinny and exercising doesn't make you lose a lot of weight--it's all about the carbs. So, I decided to put this to the test.

Welcome to day one. Since I have not yet made a trip to the grocery store to buy all of the resources to support a low-carb diet, breakfast was a challenge. Normally, I opt for a bowl of cereal or a bagel...both big no-no's here. So what did I end up with? A handful of almonds and a salmon patty. Yep, that was breakfast...mmmm.

I just finished lunch, which was my pretty typical salad, just sans the usual baked potato on the side. They even had french fries on the lunch line today--their perfectly golden crinkles taunting me--but I resisted. Yay!

Of course, I picked a perfectly horrible time to begin such a dietary challenge...today alone, someone dropped off a big bag of caramel corn for the office, and the lunch ladies put chocolate chip cookies in everyone's boxes as a holiday treat. A note to my secret santa...do not, whatever you do, do not gift me with a box of Whitman's Samplers, or I will have to hit you over the head with it. A can of toasted pecans will be just fine...

3 comments:

Margie said...

So, I told Dave about your anti-carb diet. He replied, "But, she's already a vegetarian. So that leaves the three G's for her to eat: green beans, grapes and gravel."

Then, I told Trish (the I-just-lost-15-pounds-on-the-Atkins-diet queen)about you and about what Dave said. Her reply, "Actually, grapes and green beans have carbs in them, so that just leaves her with gravel."

LOL

TT said...

Yep, it's crazy...carbs are everywhere! I bet there are even some in gravel... :)

"Jeneric" said...

Don't do it-carbs give you life!!