Monday, December 03, 2007

A Green Wedding

"Green Living" is a pretty popular buzzword these days (or buzz phrase, perhaps?). In the past couple of years, it has become hip to be eco-conscious. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not downing its popularity--I'm always glad when positive things become in-fashion. I only hope that it becomes an established mindset, not just a passing fad (the skinny jeans fad, on the other hand, can't be gone too soon!)

Todd and I try to do our part:
- We have two recycling bins to one garbage can-- we attempt to recycle twice as much as we throw away
- We try to keep lights off unless we really need them, and set the thermostat at 65 in the winter (blankets are very popular at our house).
- We stopped buying bottled water, and now just fill up our Nalgenes.
- I buy most of my produce from local farmers (or we grow our own in the summer).
- I bought a Honda Fit--yay for fuel economy! :)

But, I know that there is still a lot more we could be doing...so I thought to myself, what about having a "green" wedding? We want to do a destination wedding and have been looking around at resorts in the Caribbean...and we recently stumbled upon Maho Bay, an eco-resort in St. John (www.maho.org)--a little rustic, but gorgeous!

So I started thinking--what are other ways we could make this a green wedding? Here are some of the things I came up with:
- Create a pdf of the wedding invite, and send them out via email instead of regular mail (saving paper and gas used to deliver the mail)
- Set up a website to keep everyone up on the details, etc. Maybe even offer a webcam of the actual ceremony, so people don't have to travel to "be" there.
- Buy wedding attire through thrift or consignment stores
- Try to carpool where possible--check into chartering a smaller plane, so that everyone could fly down together.

Those are a few ideas that I came up with...although I would love to hear suggestions that others might have. Please share your thoughts in the comments section...and I just might "recycle" your ideas!

No comments: