Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Dress-Up

There is something that pretty much everyone in my family can agree upon--my mother was born in the wrong era. Mom has a love affair with all things antique. And when I say love, I mean she LOVES them. On road trips, she will make sure to plan enough drive-time to incorporate stops at any antique store she might come across. If Mapquest offered an option of choosing "route that includes all antique malls in the vicinity", my mom would be in heaven.

Our home was a haven for all of the treasures she discovered--we probably could have taken about 3/4 of our household goods on "Antiques Roadshow" and made a fortune. One of her particular loves has always been antique linens, clothing, textiles, etc. I think I knew what "battenburg" was before I turned 5. There were always lots of great resources for us to play dress-up (especially if we were going for the Laura Ingalls Wilder/Little House on the Prairie look). She even had mannequins in some of our bedrooms to display the clothing--just ask me about the Great Mannequin Wars of the 1990's.

So, it came as no surprise to any of us when, soon after retiring, my mom opened up her own vintage clothing booth in a local antique mall. And when she decided to host a fashion show at the antique mall to display her wares, guess who got recruited to be models? Well, I'll show you...

Here is mom with little Sienna, my youngest niece:


Me and Kaelyn (she's the cuter one in the picture):


My sister and her girls together:


Don't you feel like you just stepped back in time??

No comments: