Friday, May 09, 2008

unsubscribe

About a year or so ago, I joined the East Nashville listserv. I thought that it would be a great way to keep up on information related to the neighborhood, and that it might also help me get to know a few of my neighbors in the process.

Well, after a year of receiving the digest e-mails and following every crazy thread, all I can say is...holy crap. I've personally never been a watcher of soap operas, but this listserv is basically like an online version of "The Days of Our Lives." Except that it seems chock-full of people who are intent on broadcasting just how ignorant, obnoxious, and offensive they can be. And what I discovered was...if these people are anywhere near like what they represent themselves to be on the listserv, then there are quite a few of my neighbors that I don't really ever care to meet.

So, today I unsubscribed. It felt good. It felt...healthy. I could hear a faint chorus of Mary J.'s "No More Drama" echoing in the back of my mind.

And although I might miss a few good announcements or a bit of interesting information, I figure that if it's important enough, I'll either hear it from my friends, or I'll see it on the news.

Although, local news might be the next thing that I cut out...I mean, honestly, how many minutes of a broadcast can you dedicate to covering the weather? Really?

4 comments:

Buckingham Palace said...

THIS JUST CRACKED ME UP! seriously, I have stopped reading the digests... I can't handle it.

On the dog peeing issues, we had thought Mocha had an infection, but no, just old age. Basically she is an old lady now. Hope Levi gets better soon! pee smell is no fun!

Jett Loe said...

I've just started reading the list - you're absolutely right! :)

TT said...

Thanks for the comments--I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in my assessment!

Unknown said...

I stopped reading due to a certain individual who thinks he's funnier than everyone else and tried to prove it. on. every. single. thread. i mean, come on. i'm with you TT - you hit it on the nose.

(although sometimes i miss my day-time "stories.")