Monday, September 08, 2008

the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad puppy owners

I like to be nice. I do.

And I try not to say hateful things about others, or call other people out publicly on my blog, because that's just not my style.

But I'm angry.

I have lived in my home for just over three years, and in that time, I have watched three puppies die under the care (or carelessness) of my neighbors. Three lovely little dogs who never had a chance, because they were adopted by people who think it is perfectly acceptable to leave a dog chained in the yard all day, regardless of the weather, with little or no access to water or shade.

One of their puppies--a sweet, pure-bred yellow labrador--died of Parvo within just a few months of moving into their home. The other two dogs died of mysterious "poisonings". The only dog that has managed to live longer than a couple of years there spends most of his time trying to escape their backyard, where he is a penned up prisoner.

I was hoping, praying even, that after the death of the aptly named Underdog, they might realize that they weren't cut out to be dog owners--that maybe they just needed to focus on keeping their four little children alive. But then, a couple of months ago, they adopted another puppy, Buster. My heart sank when I saw him, because I knew that giving a dog to the Tanners was as good as issuing a death sentence to the dog.

But for Buster's sake, I hoped for the best. And when they asked us to watch Buster over the recent holiday weekend, we agreed--only after Todd confirmed with them that Buster was current on his vaccinations. They said yes. I'm afraid they lied.

Because this morning, we get news from our neighbors that Buster is sick. He is lethargic, he is losing weight quickly--both potential signs of Parvo. A highly contagious, deadly disease. And even though I know that Levi is current on his vaccinations, I worry, because he is still a puppy, and for some reason, black and tan breeds are more susceptible to the virus.

So help me God, if anything happens to Levi because of our idiotic, negligent dog owners next door, I will be beyond livid. I honestly don't know what I will do, but I can promise it won't be pretty.

Some people should not be allowed to own dogs. Period.

These people should be required to walk around with warning labels on their heads.

Danger: Puppy Killers.

2 comments:

Sam said...

It's one (to me, quite acceptable) thing to be angry about how neighbors and others treat their pets. It's again another thing to be angry about how neighbors kill their pets. Now, said neighbors' negligence is threatening your own? TT, everybody in East Nashville and beyond will be in lockstep with you when and if you bring the thunder down upon them.

Monica C. Schreiber said...

Your story illustrates perfectly why states, cities and counties are finally (albeit very slowly and with much resistance) passing laws that limit how long a dog can be chained by the neck. Allowing people to take the "easy way out" with regard to confining their dogs sets the groundwork for abuse and neglect of the most horrific kind.

Perpetually chained dogs suffer in awful ways: pacing the same patch of mud or dirt for years on end, baking in the summer and often freezing (sometimes to death) in the winter. They are usually infested with parasites and many become neurotic or aggressive from their life in solitary confinement.

Unfortunately, breeders and hunters, as well as others who view animals as mere "property," are successful in killing many of these laws.

Imagine if your community had a law like California or Texas, where 24/7 chaining is not allowed? You'd actually have some recourse over these people.

Learn more at www.dogsdeservebetter.org and www.unchainyourdog.org