Monday, April 14, 2008

losing it

Some people lose umbrellas.

Others have a hard time keeping track of their keys.

As for me, I just can't seem to hold onto a pair of sunglasses. And I don't generally lose them in normal ways, like accidentally leaving them behind at a restaurant/bar (although I have done that, too)--I tend to lose them in very odd and random ways.

For example, I lost one pair on a golf course as I was frantically driving the golf cart to cover because tornado sirens were blaring, and a huge gust of wind blew the sunglasses off of my head and into a water hazard. Another pair I lost while visiting Marineland in Florida--because a dolphin ate them. No lie.

Most recently, I was volunteering with a Habitat for Humanity build last weekend, and as I was leaning over to dip my paint roller in the large 5-gallon paint bucket, my sunglasses took a swan dive off of my body and directly into the paint. Now, while I'm sure that the new layer of thick, white latex paint completely covering the glasses probably enhanced their level of UV protection, I decided that I should probably just let them go.

After all, I only paid $5 for them. I learned my lesson pretty quickly, and with my luck, I know it's best to stick with the cheapie sunglasses at Target.

So if you ever think my shades aren't very stylish, just wait a week or so, and I'll probably be sporting a different pair.

6 comments:

Sam said...

Your future is so bright, you gotta wear shades. But you gotta keep the shades first.

Melissa said...

i do this too, even though i've tried everything... spent $5, and lost 'em. spent $100, thinking that would make me take better care, and lost 'em. hence, $5 shades for me!

Kimberly said...

Umbrellas, pens, sunglasses, paper clips. We lose them. They become public property, in a way. You're contributing to the noneconomic circulation of material things. This is right and good.

Sam said...

Well, Kimberly, you'll have to remember that the next time TT sees YOU wearing HER sunglasses.

TT said...

Actually, though, the irony of Kimberly's statement is that I bought those particular sunglasses at the Unclaimed Baggage Mart in Scottsboro, AL, where lost luggage goes to be recycled/sold. So, someone else had lost those glasses even before I did...

TT said...

Melissa-I, too, have thought about trying the approach of buying more expensive sunglasses, but it does seem a risky investment. Instead, I think this next time I might try buying the most heinous sunglasses I can possibly find. Something tells me that those will be the glasses I never lose, even if I try!