Tuesday, April 29, 2008

i like big hearts and i cannot lie...

There is a quotation from W.H. Auden that one of my old high school teachers included in her yearbook entry, which randomly etched itself into my brain, and it comes to mind every now and then:

"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh."

Last night, I had dinner with a couple of friends. One works for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and the other just recently began a new job at Hands on Nashville. Both of them are beautiful women with big hearts--people who are passionate about helping other people. They both absolutely love their jobs, because each day carries the joy of knowing that what they do makes life better for someone else.

And as I basked in the love and the laughter that we shared over dinner, it hit me. My common denominator is big hearts. The people whom I love the most are those who love others well. If I see someone who spills out his/her life in service to others, I am smitten. People who almost give too much-- too much of their time, their money, and their resources to help others-- to me, they positively glow.

So, if you've ever been accused of caring too much, giving too much, or volunteering too much, then please, come sit by me. Chances are, I'm gonna love you and your big heart.

No comments: